Thursday, May 4, 2017

Late America - Eric Fischl



I really find Fischl’s painting, “Late America” intriguing because this piece allows you to observe and interpret the scene - in either a political or economic stance, even though that was not the true intention of it. I think that for most people, it is hard to stray from the political aspect of the picture due to the presence of the American flag and the timing of the pictures release (which was right after the 2016 Presidential Election). I believe that this painting refers to the confusion, frustration and overall rollercoaster of an election. I think that the older person portrayed in the painting represents the loss of power and control that this country has recently experienced. I think the artist represented the young boy draped in the American flag as the new and inexperienced political/economic trends that this country is quickly shifting towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment