Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Eric Fischl's: Daddy's Gone (Literally)


I am a big fan of these paintings and the idea but I'm afraid I don't fully understand where he was going with it. I do get the concept of white male not having the solution anymore. I believe that the topic is rather political to say the least but he said it was not. With this particular piece, the daddy figure is not in the painting like all his other pieces. However, the title suggest that there is still a daddy issue going on. Furthermore, the title, "Daddy's Gone" takes on a literal meaning when brings a whole different perspective to the painting. without the title, the piece would be subjected to open perspective on what it is about. However, the Daddy's Gone title makes the audience understand why the girl seems to be sitting in grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment